The RC Spot

Real People. Real Testing.

What Ever Happened With This?


Horizon Hobby came out with a hydrogen powered RC car several years ago, and I have just now learned about it. I try my hardest to follow all of the newest and greatest RC products, and have done so for about 8 years now. I am just trying to figure out why it did not take off. Sure, it costs close to 1000 bucks, but that's really not that ridiculous for this hobby. I know it seems silly to have such a thing, and the argument is very valid that its pointless when you can easily get 200 charges out of a NiMH battery and closing in on 1000 from a LiPo cell. But lets face it guys, this hobby is comprised by and large of fully grown men playing with "toy cars", if that's not silly I don't know what is (Me being one of the biggest Grown Up kid's). Anyway, on to the actual facts about this thing.


The kit is made for the use of a TT-O1 Tamiya chassis but I suspect it could very easily be shoehorned on to pretty much any 10th scale RC car. Details on this kit seem to be few and fair between but as best I can tell it does not replace the battery of the car, although it greatly extends the run times, reports of up to 3-4 times the run time. The main battery supplies the car with its punch and off the line speed. Then the Hydrogen system kicks in and takes over to fuel power needs for the top end and cruising speeds. Again, details are semi hazy on what all come with the kit, but it seems that it also comes with the refueling station and "Hydrostiks" to refuel the car. I have not been able to read anything about how long the refueling process takes, but the main site does mention that water and electricity are all that is required to refuel. which seems pretty awesome.

I am by no means saying this will sweep the RC industry and completely revolutionize how we power our cars, it does however seem like something that would be a blast to have and play around with. My only objection I have is the fact that the concept is to have a "renewable" power system for RC cars that does not draw any power from the grid by setting up your refueling station up on wind or solar power. My only question is why worry about using solar and wind powered hydrogen when you could just as easily and WAY more cost effectively set up the same charging station for your standard battery chargers.

All in all I think its a sweet product, and hope that some time soon I am able to find someone who finds it as interesting as I did and actually bought one. Because I would greatly love to see one run.

Here's a YouTube clip of the power system on an upgraded chassis.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9UnqW6wrxI

If you're interested in learning more or want to grab on of these rockin' little set-ups click on over to www.horizonfuelcell.com/hobby_rc.htm and see what's up.

Posted by Sam On 10:47 PM 0 comments
Categories: , ,

0 Response for the "What Ever Happened With This?"

Post a Comment